Saturday, November 01, 2003

Right on*! I'm sick of seeing the same old black film. Innovate, damn you! The last good black film(and that's stretching a bit) I saw (Sunshine State) was directed by a white dude(although I did think he was black, the movie was that good- I'm not putting down white people, but it's hard to put yourself in someone else's shoes) We have such good movies as Eve's Bayou, Devil in a Blue Dress, and Do The Right Thing in the 90s, but in the 00's, what we got? Some more minstrel shows? I don't want to see black folk act like clowns- we got enough clowns in real life, I don't need to see it in a movie. They need to have more stories that simply deal with life, or at least a believable character or two. We have had some progress, not all black folks in movies are from the ghetto(as a non ghetto living black person, I think we should represent, personally) but there's a great deal more places to go.

*Giancarlo Esposito is black and Italian for those who don't know. I liked that, since Sal and his folks are Italian. I like that Spike showed some white people with ethnicity. White people didn't just appear in the US, they came from Europe, darn it. Many white folks I know can tell you what percent they are this and that. But then again, I'm probably just a weird person, but seriously, you got the dishes from this or that great grandmother, sometimes even festivals about their ethnic pride. That would be interesting to talk about in a movie, personally. I also like black movies about the different cultures of black people, as we aren't some big monolith, you know?

No comments: