Saturday, February 13, 2010

I've always hated Valentine's Day. I never could articulate it clearly- I always felt a sort of nah nah nah, look at what I get and you don't! holiday. Of course, you're supposed to feel bad about feeling bad. Others are happy, you should be happy too, they say. But I can't describe what I mean. Words fail me. All I know is that some 'happiness' makes me feel small and diminished, and makes many other people feel bad and alone, and that other happiness makes the world seem larger and expanded by its scope. It makes me feel glad to orbit around the same star as those people who are encircled by that love.

I feel that even if I wasn't watching, even if all displays of romance vanished from the earth, their love would still be as strong. It's not "look at me!" it just is.

No comments: