Monday, February 21, 2005

PSA:

White folks, the thing is that we really don't care if your rhetoric is about 'fairness' or 'equality'. If it doesn't serve for actual fairness and equality, you just seem racist. I actually find this sort of thing personally hurtful, as if you think I'm so dumb that if you put 'fair' and 'equal' in it, perpetuating unfairness and inequality is ok.

Seriously, if you don't know the challenges facing blacks and other people of color, learn about them. Please do not think that everything is fine because white people are having fun. White people were always having fun, but everything has never been fine. The second you realize this, you can also make powerful connections like- that rich white guy over there is having fun, but I'm getting screwed, why should I vote for him?

I feel that many blacks tend to be more critical of what goes on politically, and I think everyone should start to be more critical and raise their consciousness. Of course, older people tend to be more active in politics, so I might be observing a cohort effect.

No comments: