Monday, February 07, 2005

Planned Parenthood has a random bit on black history month, but I'm glad it's someone with some sense instead of like an entertainer. Anyway, I bet our AA hating pals would have thought there was no discrimination against blacks back then because one black person went to Harvard. My theory is that some people are just going to be amazing whether you have a good environment or not, and some are going to suck no matter what, but the whole thing about discrimination is that it really affects the vast middle.

By focusing only on the people who would always succeed(well, a black person was successful, that proves that there's no racism anywhere ever) or the people who will always suck(I met a crackhead in the alley! That proves there is no discrimination ever!) you miss a whole lot of the picture. I find myself in the middle. I make ok grades in school, work pretty hard at jobs, and try to save my little money. I am not so awesomely talented that I'll succeed in any environment, but you could get a lot out of me if there is a good environment.

Also, on a tangent, my theory about equality of opportunity versus equality of outcome is that some whites like the former because you can't measure it. On outcome, you can be called on your shit, but how do you prove that everyone has the same opportunity? It's so vunerable to handwaving about how you were doing the best you could, but gosh darn it, those blacks, they just weren't good enough..

No comments: