Sunday, November 16, 2008

You know, I'm a special special snowflake too. I learned to read at age 4, blah blah blah, I'm an armchair psychology expert, blah blah blah. But in a large society like this, I think we need some sort of school system, so at least most people can read and add and subtract. If we left it up to chance, things would be even more unequal than they are. Some kids would have amazing learning environments- for example, my dad always lectures me about science at random- and some kids would have terrible learning environments because their parents are probably so busy surviving they wouldn't have any time to teach their kids anything at all. At least in a classroom, they end up knowing that biology exists and that such a thing as calculus can happen to you.

No comments: